Bristol Instruments is a world leader in optical interferometer-based instrumentation. Its customers range from top scientific research institutions to telecommunications equipment manufacturers around the world. The company has a 15-year legacy of technological innovation that has resulted in best-in-class test and measurement products for the most demanding applications.
The Product Development Engineer is responsible for developing Bristol Instrument’s next generation of metrology instruments. Working with a team of mechanical, electrical, optical and software engineers, you will be responsible for taking a conceptual product idea through design, verification, and transfer to production. In addition to new product development activities, you will support the continual improvement of existing products by generating ideas and implementing solutions to satisfy our customers metrology needs. To be successful in this role, you should possess the following:
- Ability to implement creative solutions to complex problems.
- Confidence in the technical aspects and hands on in troubleshooting and testing.
- Be comfortable, or willing to grow into, organizing development from concept through production planning.
- Work with a team of mechanical, electrical, and software engineers to plan, schedule, and execute development of new instruments.
- Troubleshoot complex electro-optical instrumentation and software.
- Interface with customers to answer application questions and solve issues.
- Implement and test improvements to existing products.
- Investigate new measurement techniques by modeling and breadboarding ideas to evaluate feasibility for future products.
- Routinely document and report on findings of research, design, and development efforts.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in optics, physics, or engineering with 5+ years relevant experience.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Strong analytical skills with excellent problem solving and creative thinking capabilities.
- Skills in software programming for modeling, data acquisition and analysis (Python, MATLAB, LabVIEW, C++, e.g.).
- High level of personal initiative with the ability to work in teams and alone with limited supervision.
- Ability to manage multiple, concurrent projects and priorities.
- Experience working in a lab with optical instrumentation. Familiarity with interferometric measurement techniques is a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Bristol Instruments is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We want to have the best available persons in every job. Bristol Instruments is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities to individuals regardless of race, color, creed, sex, marital status, age, national origin, physical handicap, disability, medical condition, ancestry or any other protected characteristic.